Most states now have online filing options for sales tax. Many already require that you pay via an online system. Following are some great reasons to utilize a state’s online sales tax filing service.
- Improved cash flow – most websites allow you to schedule the day the payment will come out of your business bank account. Some even allow a one day grace period for paying online; for example, if the return is due on the 25th, an online payment may be allowed on the 26th;
- Error reduction – online filing systems will check your input for errors and assist you in correcting them prior to submitting the filing. This will virtually eliminate deficiency notices;
- Faster input – hand writing a return takes significantly longer than data entering into a pre-filled online form;
- Saves money – since the payment is online and automatic, the effort needed to request and generate a paper check is eliminated;
- Saves paper – online filing usually generates a pdf form that can be saved for backup and reference. Most states have an online archive, where prior month returns can be viewed and printed if desired;
- Confirmation of filing – no need to worry about your return getting lost or misdirected in the mail, there is an immediate confirmation of filing, with a time and date stamp.
- Workflow management – since the returns can be filed early and pay dates scheduled, the filing can be done as soon as your books are closed for the month. The return preparation can be scheduled around other important deadlines.
To encourage online filing, states make it quick, secure, and easy to set up your account. Their websites are well designed and safe for entering your banking information. Please contact us if you have questions about online filing or need assistance setting up your account.